Monday, May 8, 2023

Lessons My Mother Taught Me

As we approach Mother’s Day, I am preoccupied with thoughts about my mother. While Mom passed away over 20 years ago, not a day goes by that I do not actively think about the lessons I learned from her. While my mother was not a business person, she was the best manager I ever met. While raising six children she was able to maintain a myriad of interests – from potting and ceramics, to becoming a world-renowned hybridizer of daylilies. 

Here are some of the lessons in no particular order – and if you knew my mother, you’d know it certainly is not a comprehensive list.

  •     Always leave it better than you found it - make a difference
  •     Treat others the way you want to be treated
  •     Never ever give up
  •     The Lord helps those who help themselves
  •     If you keep your mouth open long enough, something unfortunate will come out   
  •    Do your best and, if you keep trying, you’ll be the best
  •     Do the important things first … and the less important will take care of themselves
  •     Do what you know is right
  •     Birds of a feather flock together
  •    You are judged by the company you keep
  •     There are no boring jobs, only boring people
  •     Always do more than is expected
  •     Never let a “wrong” go unaddressed
  •     Learn something new every day
  •     If you teach a person to fish, he’ll never be hungry

Feel free to comment on your experience.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms!

Best regards,
Dave Mead      

No comments:

Post a Comment