Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Lessons my Mother taught me


Lessons my Mother taught me

As we approach Mother’s Day, I am preoccupied with thoughts about my mother. While Mom passed away over 10 years ago, not a day goes by that I do not actively think about the lessons I learned from her.  While my mother was not a business person, she was the best manager I ever met.  While raising six children she was able to maintain a myriad of interests – from potting and ceramics, to becoming a world-renowned hybridizer of daylilies. 

Here are some of the lessons in no particular order – and if you knew my mother you’d know it certainly is not a comprehensive list.

  •         Always leave it better than you found it - make a difference
  •         Treat others the way you want to be treated
  •         Never ever give up
  •         The Lord helps those who help themselves
  •         If you keep your mouth open long enough, something unfortunate will come out         
  •      Do your best and, if you keep trying, you’ll be the best
  •        Do the important things first … and the less important will take care of themselves
  •        Do what you know is right
  •        Birds of a feather flock together
  •       You are judged by the company you keep
  •        There are no boring jobs, only boring people
  •        Always do more than is expected
  •        Never let a “wrong” go unaddressed
  •        Learn something new every day
  •       If you teach a person to fish, he’ll never be hungry


Feel free to comment on your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment